Anti-Muslim bomb maker free in 3 months

25th Sep 2020

Elham Asaad Buaras

An Australian man charged over the discovery of explosive material and bomb-making manual at his home in Adelaide has been jailed for just over three years and three months on September 8.

Taking into account his time in custody and a 19-month non-parole period, Aaron Ellis — who was also in possession of the far-right manifesto by the Christchurch terrorist — could be released in about three months.

Ellis pleaded guilty to two counts of taking a step to manufacture an explosive device and to one count of possessing information on the manufacture of an explosive device.

The charges came after police converged on his home in April last year where they found explosive material along with instructions for making explosives and anti-Islamic documents.

Police also conducted controlled detonations of volatile substances in his backyard. Ellis was also in possession of the manifesto of the Christchurch far-right terrorist, who killed 51 Muslims at two mosques in New Zealand in March 2019.

Ellis claimed to have made the explosive material to produce firecrackers, but in sentencing, District Court Judge Rauf Soulio rejected that explanation and said Ellis “had been drawn into an online community that supported anti-Islamic views and became blinded by propaganda online,” he said.

Judge Soulio told Ellis he should take advantage of the period on parole to obtain treatment for his mental health issues, including post-traumatic stress disorder, his addiction to pain killers and depression. He also urged him to reconsider his views on the seriousness of his offending.

Leave a Comment

What is 2 + 10 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets