UK: London terror attack suspect acted alone says police

26th Mar 2017
UK: London terror attack suspect acted alone says police

By Inci Gundag

 

LONDON (AA):  London police late Saturday said the suspect appeared to have acted alone in Wednesday’s terror attack outside the U.K. parliament that killed four people and injured dozens.

Neil Basu, deputy assistant Metropolitan police commissioner, said the attack lasted a mere 82 seconds before Khalid Masood was shot to death.

“We still believe that Masood acted alone on the day and there is no information or intelligence to suggest there are further attacks planned,” Basu, who is the Senior National Coordinator for UK Counter Terrorism Policing, said.

Basu added that we won’t know why he committed the terrorist attacks.

“We must all accept that there is a possibility we will never understand why he did this. That understanding may have died with him,” he said.

“Even if he acted alone in the preparation we need to establish with absolute clarity why he did these unspeakable acts to bring reassurance to Londoners, and to provide answers and closure for the families of those killed and the victims and survivors of this atrocity.

“Nevertheless, we are determined to understand if Masood was a lone actor inspired by terrorist propaganda or if others have encouraged, supported or directed him. If the latter proves to be the case, they will face justice.”

Basu explained in detail how the attack took place.

“Through detailed investigation the Met can confirm the attack started at 14:40:08 on Wednesday, 22 March, when the car that Masood was driving over Westminster Bridge first mounted the northbound pavement.

“He continued towards Bridge Street along both the footpath and road until 14:40:38 before crashing into the perimeter fence of the Palace of Westminster.

“At 14:40:59, the first 999 call was made to the Met reporting the incident.

“Masood left the vehicle and was shot by a police firearms officer inside the Palace of Westminster boundary at 14:41:30”.

“There are victims in London from 11 nations, which goes to show that an attack on London is an attack on the world,” UK Foreign secretary Boris Johnson told reporters at the UN during a US trip earlier this week.

Daesh terrorist organization has claimed responsibility for the attack, calling the attacker one of its “soldiers”.

Additional report by The Muslim News

[Photo: People attend a candlelit vigil at Trafalgar Square on March 23, 2017 in London, England. Photographer: Muhabiri Kate Green/AA]

2 Responses to “UK: London terror attack suspect acted alone says police”

MehboobMarch 28, 2017

We will not know the motive of this attack but what are we doing to safeguard the public against similar attacks.? Shall we have more security in the places of interests and other public gallaries, eg museums airports and stations. There is chaos in the city of Birmingham. Many police station are closed in case you want to walk in and report any crime.
We need more security and presence of cops to deter this kind of attack. My heart goes with the relatives and friends of the deceased. God bless them.

Reply

Liaka AhmadMarch 29, 2017

A very sad and heartbreaking time for London. One important thing to realize here is that these acts are slowly making it to all major countries. Another depressing situation is that these are hate crimes but labelled as terrorist attacks under the name of religion. What people are failing to understand is that no religion especially Islam, teaches to display acts of violence.

Reply

Leave a Comment

What is 6 + 12 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets