Indonesia: Death toll from quakes rises to 506

22nd Aug 2018
Indonesia: Death toll from quakes rises to 506

By Adem Salvarcioglu

 

(AA): The death toll from earthquakes that rocked eastern Indonesia since Aug. 5 has risen to over 500, local authorities said on Tuesday.

According to a statement by Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for Indonesia’s disaster management agency (BNPB), 506 people have been killed in the earthquakes of these past two weeks.

The previous figure about the death toll — announced on Aug. 13 — was 436.

Nugroho said that nearly 75,000 houses had been damaged and that 431,436 people had been forced to leave their homes.

Search-and-rescue operations are still ongoing.

On Aug. 5, a magnitude 7.0 earthquake jolted island of Lombok.

In the last 15 days, at least 800 aftershocks were recorded.

Last weekend, twin earthquakes, of which the magnitudes were higher than 6.0, rocked this island.

[Photo: People stand on the damaged house hit by an earthquake at Pamenang village, in North Lombok, Indonesia on August 7, 2018. Photographer: Anton Raharjo/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 12 + 4 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets