Saudi Arabia: OIC unanimously rejects Trump’s so-called Deal of Century

4th Feb 2020
Saudi Arabia: OIC unanimously rejects Trump’s so-called Deal of Century

JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia (AA) The member states of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on Monday unanimously rejected the so-called Deal of the Century, which is a plan proposed by the U.S. administration for peace in the Middle East. However, the OIC did not recommend any action against the U.S. nor did they suggest to call the United Nation Security Council.

“The draft resolution rejecting the American-Israeli deal which was submitted by Palestine to the OIC has been unanimously approved,” Palestinian Authority’s Foreign Ministry said, in a brief statement it tweeted.

The member states of the Muslim bloc gathered in Saudi Arabia’s capital Riyadh on Monday morning for discussions on the proposed plan which has become a hot button issue in the region.

However, three OIC countries, Bahrain, Oman and UAE helped to forge the Trump’s “Deal of the Century” deal. President Trump personally thanked them for helping to forge the deal during the launch of the deal.

In his opening remarks, OIC Secretary-General Yusuf bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen said any solution to the Palestine issue “must be based on the establishment of a sovereign and geographically integrated Palestinian state, with East Jerusalem as its capital.”

“We renew our commitment to continuously engage in efforts aimed at achieving peace, security, stability, and justice, in accordance with international resolutions and the Arab peace initiative,” he added.

He also reaffirmed the OIC’s support for “the Palestinian Authority and people’s choices”.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu slammed the so-called Middle East peace plan as an effort to “justify Israeli occupation and annexation of Jerusalem and the West Bank”.

Dismissing any possibility of negotiations on the plan, he said it was a document to authorize the sale of Palestine and contains Israel’s demands as dictated to Washington.

“This plan is against all international parameters for the fair, comprehensive and permanent solution of the Palestine issue, especially borders, illegal settlements, and the status of Jerusalem and refugees,” said Cavusoglu.

Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan stressed his country insists on a comprehensive solution “that guarantees the rights of the Palestinian people to establish a state with East Jerusalem as its capital”.

He said Saudi Arabia will back efforts for negotiations to “end the dispute via a comprehensive solution that protects the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people”.

In a statement on Sunday, the OIC said the meeting at the level of foreign ministers would “discuss the organization’s position” on the U.S. administration’s so-called peace plan.

“The OIC reaffirms its principled position and support for Palestine in the struggle to regain its legitimate rights, including the establishment of an independent and sovereign state with East Jerusalem as its capital,” read the statement.

It said the solution to the Palestine issue must be in accordance with international law, relevant UN resolutions, and the Arab peace initiative.

The so-called “Deal of the Century”, announced by U.S. President Donald Trump last Tuesday, has already been rejected by the Arab League.

In a statement last week, the organization said the plan “does not meet the minimum rights and aspirations of Palestinian people”.

Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu had previously voiced support for the Arab League’s decision to reject the so-called peace plan.

Flanked by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, U.S. President Donald Trump, in a news conference at the White House last Tuesday, unveiled the controversial plan to end one of the longest running disputes in the Middle East.

He proposed an independent Palestinian state but with the recognition of Israeli sovereignty over West Bank and Jerusalem as Israel’s “undivided capital”.

The so-called peace plan unilaterally annuls previous UN resolutions on the Palestinian issue and suggests giving Israel almost everything it demanded.

* Bassel Ibrahim contributed to this report from Ankara

Additional report by The Muslim News

Photo: A general view of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation’s (OIC) Emergency Open-Ended Executive Committee Ministerial Meeting in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on February 03, 2020. Photographer: Fatih Aktaş/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 13 + 3 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets