Yemen Houthis claim drone attacks on ‘sensitive sites’ Saudi Arabia

1st Mar 2021
Yemen Houthis claim drone attacks on ‘sensitive sites’ Saudi Arabia

By Muhammad Al-Samei and Aziz Al-Ahmadi

 

SANA’A, Yemen (AA): Yemen’s Ansar Allah [Houthi]  movement on Sunday claimed to have carried out missile and drone attacks on “sensitive sites” in Saudi Arabia.

Rebel spokesman Yahya Saree described the attacks as “massive”, saying that six drone attacks targeted military sites in Abha and Khamis Mushait in southern Saudi Arabia.

The spokesman said a ballistic missile and several drones were also fired towards “sensitive sites” in the Saudi capital Riyadh.

“Our operations will continue and will expand more and more as long as the aggression and siege on our country continue,” the group said.

There was no comment from the Saudi-led coalition on the Houthi claim.

On Saturday, the coalition said it had intercepted and destroyed a ballistic missile launched by the Houthis towards Riyadh alongside six drones launched towards the kingdom’s southern regions.

The Saudi Al-Ikhbariya channel also reported that a rebel drone was reported by the coalition on Sunday, but without giving any further details.

The official SPA News Agency also said shrapnel fell on several residential areas in the oil-rich country following the interception of a ballistic missile launched by the Houthis causing human and material losses.

Earlier this month, the rebel group offered to stop attacks against Saudi Arabia in return for halting airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition.

On Feb. 11, Saudi Arabia informed the UN Security Council that it would take all necessary measures to defend its territory and protect its citizens from the Houthi attacks.

Yemen has been engulfed by violence and instability since 2014, when Houthis captured much of the country, including the capital Sana’a.

A Saudi-led coalition, supported by US & UK, aimed at reinstating the Yemeni government has worsened the situation, causing one of the world’s worst man-made humanitarian crises with 233,000 people killed, nearly 80% or about 30 million needing humanitarian assistance and protection, and more than 13 million in danger of starving to death, according to UN estimates.

*Ibrahim Mukhtar in Ankara contributed to this report

[Photo: Young supporters of Yemen’s Houthi [Ansar Allah] movement chant slogans during a demonstration in front of the closed US Embassy in the capital Sanaa on January 18, 2021, to reject outgoing US President Donald Trump’s decision to designate the Huthi group a “foreign terrorist organisation”.  Photographer: Mohammed Hamoud/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 9 + 4 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets

Betboo Porno izle Mobile porn hilesi