Scrolling news:

Yemen: 9 civilians killed in Saudi coalition airstrike

27th Jun 2018
Yemen: 9 civilians killed in Saudi coalition airstrike

By Murat al-Arifi and Ali Oweida

 

SANA’A (AA): At least nine civilians were “mistakenly” killed on Tuesday and another 11 wounded in an air raid by the Saudi-led coalition in western Yemen’s Hudaydah province, a local military source said.

The coalition’s fighter jets struck a bus carrying displaced people near a checkpoint for Yemen’s Houthi [Ansar Allah] militia in Mati in Al-Jarrahi directorate, said the source, who spoke to Anadolu Agency anonymously due to restrictions on speaking to media.

The target was the Houthis at the checkpoint, the source added.

No immediate statement has been issued yet by the coalition over the incident.

A UN report, “Children and Armed Conflict”, published Tuesday says 370 children out of a total of 552 were killed in 2017 by air strikes carried out by the Saudi-led coalition.

Last week, Yemeni government forces backed by a Saudi-led military coalition captured Al-Hudaydah’s international airport following clashes with Houthi militia.

Impoverished Yemen has remained wracked by violence since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including capital Sana’a.

The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Sunni-Arab allies — who accuse the Houthis of serving as proxies for Shia Iran — launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

The following year, UN-sponsored peace talks in Kuwait failed to end the destructive conflict.

The violence has devastated Yemen’s infrastructure, including water and sanitation systems, prompting the UN to describe the situation as “one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times”.

Additional report by The Muslim News

[Archive Photo: Saudi led coalition bombing of vocational high school at Badan district of Ibb in Yemen on 14 August 2016. Photographer:  Adel Alsharaee/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 5 + 4 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets