Yemen: 56 civilians killed, 90 injured by Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Hodeidah

3rd Aug 2018
Yemen: 56 civilians killed, 90 injured by Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Hodeidah

(The Muslim News): At least 56 civilians have been killed and 90 injured  in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah in air bombings carried out by Saudi and UAE-led coalition Thursday according local media. Many casualties include children and young boys street vendors.

The strikes on Thursday, which fell close to the city’s main hospital, al-Thawra, hit the city’s fishing port and busy fish market. Medical workers said more than 20 missiles were fired by warplanes into several neighborhoods.

The first attack took place at the fish market. Half-an-hour later, another strike hit the street in front of the hospital where the wounded had been transferred.

Reuters news agency reports that the death toll stood at 26, while the Ansar Allah [Houthi] affiliated SABA news agency put the number of fatalities at 30, adding that 50 others were wounded. According to Yemeni journalist Hussain Albukhaiti 56 civilians were killed in the attacks. Those killed include children, young men and fishermen.‏

According to Al-Arabiya, the spokesman for the coalition forces, Colonel Turki al-Malki, said the Houthi militias carried out the killing of civilians in Hodeidah, denying that the coalition had carried out any attacks.

“Coalition did not carry out any operations in Hodeidah today,”  al-Malki, told Alarabiya television. “The Houthi militia are behind killing of civilians in Hodeidah on Thursday,” he said.

 

 

 

Martin Griffiths, the UN special envoy for Yemen, said on Thursday he was inviting the Ansar Allah and Saudi-led coalition for talks in Geneva.

Saudi-led coalition began major attack six weeks ago on Hodeidah. They have not been able to take the port city from Ansar Allah. The movement has been controlling the port since 2014.

“These airstrikes are putting innocent civilians at extreme risk,” Lise Grande, the United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Yemen, said in a statement.

Most of the aid supplies arriving in Yemen come through Hodeidah.

Ansar Allah have offered to hand over control of Hodeidah to the United Nations but the coalition insists the Ansar Allah leave the western coast.

Since Saudi-led bombing which began in 2015 more than 10,000 people have been killed and at least 40,000 wounded, mostly from Saudi-led air raids.

[Archive photo: Saudi-led coalition air strike over Es-Sebin Square in Sana’a, Yemen on  5 November 2017. Photographer: Mohammed Hamoud/AA]

 

Leave a Comment

What is 14 + 15 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets