Iraq: 3,000 civilians evacuated in massive Karbala fire

19th Jun 2020
Iraq: 3,000 civilians evacuated in massive Karbala fire

By Ali Jawad

 

BAGHDAD (AA): At least 3,000 civilians were evacuated from 600 homes as a massive fire broke out in Iraq’s southern Karbala province on Thursday, an authority said.

“The Civil Defense teams made strenuous efforts for eight consecutive hours in order to evacuate 3,000 citizens from the Ain Tamr area in Karbala province, after they had surrounded 600 houses,” the Civil Defense Directorate said in a statement.

“The fire devoured a large area of Ain Tamr [palm] groves, estimated at 250 donums [625,000 square meters],” it said.

The Civil Defense Directorate attributed the flames’ spread to the wind which made it hard to control it in the beginning, requiring backup of firefighters from Najaf and Babil provinces.

“Currently the fire is suppressed by the civil defense teams, under the supervision of Brigadier Taher Hamid Mohsen, director of civil defense in the holy city of Karbala, and the governor of Karbala; without registering human casualties”.

The statement indicated that, “an investigation will be carried out to identify the causes of the fire”.

Last month, the Iraqi Civil Defense Directorate announced that more than 100,000 donums [250 million square meters] of agricultural crops were burnt in the central, northern and southern provinces during the period from April 21 to May 22.

Farmers, for their part, accuse ISIS/Daesh terrorists and unidentified groups of setting fire to wheat and barley fields during the harvest to prevent the country from reaching a stage of self-sufficiency.

*Writing by Mahmoud Barakat

Additional report by The Muslim News

[Map of Iraq by Chris at English Wikipedia/Public-Domain]

Leave a Comment

What is 5 + 10 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets