Afghanistan: Deadly siege of Kabul hotel comes to end, 6 civilians killed

21st Jan 2018
Afghanistan: Deadly siege of Kabul hotel comes to end, 6 civilians killed

By Shadi Khan Saif

 

KABUL, Afghanistan (AA): Ten people, including six civilians and four armed assailants were killed during the siege of the Intercontinental Hotel in capital Kabul that finally came to an end on Sunday, according to a Ministry of Interior official.

The attack began late Saturday when a group of armed attackers stormed the state-owned 20th-century hotel, located on a hill in the western Bagh-e-Bala neighborhood of the city, despite tight security.

Initially, Ministry of Interior spokesman Najib Danish said at least four attackers were involved in the attack, one of whom had been shot dead by security forces last night.

Later, the ministry’s deputy spokesman Nusrat Rahimi told Anadolu Agency that all attackers were shot dead by security forces by 10 a.m. local time (0530GMT) Sunday.

Rahimi said a foreign female guest was among six civilians killed in the attack.

The head of Farah’s telecommunication department, Jamaluddin Padshahkhil, was also among the victims, Tolo News reported.

Up to 150 guests at the hotel were said to have been rescued by security forces.

Special units of the Afghan National Police (ANP) were involved in the security operation at the hotel.

Kabul Monitor reported that among many local and foreign guests along with officials from all 34 provincial directorates of broadcasting and information technology, were present at the hotel during the time of the attack that began around 9.40 p.m. local time (1710 GMT) Saturday.

U.S. Embassy had warned of possible attacks on hotels in Kabul.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

In 2011, at least 12 people were killed after nine Taliban militants attacked the same hotel.

[Archive photo: Security forces guard site where truck bomb exploded near hotel used by foreign contractors in Kabul on 1 August 2016. Photographer: Haroon Sabawoon/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 12 + 8 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets