Turkey: 9 dead in eastern Turkey after earthquake

24th Feb 2020
Turkey: 9 dead in eastern Turkey after earthquake

By Burak Bir, Fahri Aksut and Havva Kara Aydin

 

ANKARA (AA): At least nine people died and 50 others were injured in eastern Turkey on Sunday after a magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck near the Iranian border region, the country’s health minister said.

The northwestern Iranian city of Khoy was hit twice on Sunday by 5.9 magnitude earthquakes, and tremors from the quakes were also felt in Turkey’s Van province, according to Turkey’s National Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD).

Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said the condition of two of the injured was serious but the others do not have any life-threatening injuries.

At least 12 injured people were discharged from hospitals by Sunday night, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said after a visit to the affected areas.

Soylu said around 250 houses and 300 barns were destroyed, and 700 houses in several villages were heavily damaged.

Most of the damaged structures were mud houses built by locals, he added.

The minister confirmed there were no casualties in the second earthquake that struck on Sunday evening.

Soylu also briefed President Recep Tayyip Erdogan about the ongoing search and rescue efforts, according to Turkey’s Communications Directorate.

The first quake that struck at 9:24 a.m. local time (0624GMT) had a depth of six kilometers (3.7 miles) and the epicenter was in Iran’s Qotur district, according to the Iranian Seismological Center (IRSC).

According to the IRSC, the second quake occurred at 7:30 p.m. local time (0430GMT) and its epicenter was in the northwestern Zarabad region of Khoy.

Iran and Turkey are among the most earthquake-prone countries in the world. Last month, an earthquake in the eastern Turkish province of Elazig killed more than 40 people.

[Photo: Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu visits victims of the earthquake in Baskale district of Van, Turkey on February 22, 2020. Photographer: Barış Oral/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 2 + 3 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets