Scrolling news:

Philippines: Deadly typhoon kills over 130 in Mindanao

23rd Dec 2017
Philippines: Deadly typhoon kills over 130 in Mindanao

By Roy Ramos

 

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (AA):  More than 130 people have been killed as tropical storm Vinta, also known as Tembin, caused massive landslides and flash floods in various parts of southern Philippines, local officials said Saturday.

Vinta struck Davao Oriental province early Friday morning, bringing with it heavy rains across the Mindanao islands.

The Lanao del Norte province reported at least 62 deaths, followed by Zamboanga del Norte which reported at least 47 deaths, local officials confirmed to various local media outlets.

Other affected provinces, Lanao del Sur, Bukidnon, Iligan and Davao, reported 29 a total of fatalities.

Emergency officials fear the death toll may rise as rescue workers have not been able to access some areas.

Dozens are being treated for injuries, officials said.

The heavy downpour has caused the rivers to suddenly swell resulting in flash floods.

After leaving a trail of devastation in the southern part of the country, as of Saturday afternoon, the typhoon is moving towards the central province of Palawan and is expected to exit the country on Sunday, the state weather bureau PAGASA said.

Just last week, central Philippines was hit by tropical storm Urduja which claimed at least 40 lives and destroyed an estimated 1 billion Philipine peso ($19.95 million) worth of agriculture and infrastructure.

The Philippines suffers nearly 20 typhoons and storms each year, many of them deadly.

In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan — one of the strongest tropical cyclones ever recorded — struck the country’s central islands, leaving more than 8,000 people dead, missing and injured.

Archive Photo: Typhoon Haiyan in Tacloban City on 17 December, 2013. Photographer: Sarp Ozer/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 11 + 12 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets