China: Media: 5 dead in attack in Xinjiang

29th Dec 2016
China: Media: 5 dead in attack in Xinjiang

By Tevfik Durul

 

BEIJING (AA): Chinese police have shot dead three suspects that authorities say killed two people in an attack on a government compound in the troubled northwestern Xinjiang region, according to state media.

Official news agency Xinhua cited a Ministry of Public Security statement Thursday as saying that three “rioters” riding a vehicle entered the compound of Moyu County’s Committee of the Communist Party of China in a vehicle Wednesday afternoon.

The suspects reportedly attacked workers with knives and set off an explosive device, leaving an official and a security worker dead and three others injured.

The ministry said the suspects were shot dead and authorities are investigating the case.

State media had earlier cited the regional government as saying that one person was killed in the attack and police shot dead four suspects. Three others were reported injured.

No further details were provided, but the regional government said social order in Moyu — also known as Karakax — remains “stable”.

The Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region is home to a number of ethnic groups including the Uighur, a Turkic-speaking minority who make up 45 percent of the population.

The Muslim minority group has long accused the government of curtailing their cultural and religious rights.

 

[Archive Photo: Uighur Muslims in Kashgar, Xingian, China on July 7 2015. Photographer: Mahmut Atanur/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 13 + 13 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets