Scrolling news:

Spain: 13 killed, over 100 injured, in Barcelona terrorist attack

18th Aug 2017
Spain: 13 killed, over 100 injured, in Barcelona terrorist attack

By Cansu Dikme

Anadolu Agency: At least 13 people were killed and more than a hundred injured when a white van ploughed into a crowd in central Barcelona Thursday. Hours after the terrorist attack in Barcelona, five suspected terrorists were shot dead in the resort town of Cambrils after ramming into pedestrians while wearing fake suicide belts.

The driver then rampaged several hundred metres down Las Palmas, zig-zagging through crowds in order to kill as many people as possible.

At the time of the attack, Las Ramblas, a popular street in central Barcelona, with both tourists and locals, was crowded with people. 18 nationalities are amongst victims.

The driver then fled before police cornered two other men in different parts of the city. Both have been arrested.

A second van was seized in the town of Vic, around 40 miles from Barcelona.

The El Mundo newspaper quoting police sources said the police prevented another terrorist attack in Cambrils town of Tarragona, a port province in northeast Spain, hours after the attack in Barcelona.

Four terrorists were killed and four others injured during that police operation that also left several civilians injured.

Another terrorist succumbed to his wounds hours later.

Before the police operation, the terrorists ran over an indeterminate number of civilians, leaving six wounded, two serious.

The El Mundo said, two people, including a man named Driss Oukabir had been arrested in connection with the attack. According to his social media profile he is originally from Marseille, France, and resides in Ripoll, Spain. He allegedly rented the van.

Another daily, the El Pais newspaper said Daesh had claimed responsibility for the crash through its media outlet called AMAQ.

Earlier, the paper cited police sources who confirmed it was a terrorist attack.

Radio Television Espanola said on Twitter that police negotiated with the suspects in a Barcelona bar following the attack.

Prime Minister Theresa May said her thoughts are with the victims of the “terrible attack” in Barcelona.

She added: “The UK stands with Spain against terror.”

And Sadie Khan tweeted: “My thoughts are with the victims of this barbaric terrorist attack in the great city of Barcelona and with their brave emergency services.

“London stands with Barcelona against the evil of terrorism.”

Nicola Sturgeon tweeted: “My thoughts are with everyone affected by the horrific and mindless attack in Barcelona.”

Jeremy Corbyn said: “Terrible reports from Barcelona. My thoughts are with those killed and injured, and the emergency services working to save lives.”

Officials later said an explosion in the town of Alcanar last night was linked to today’s attack.

Additional report by The Muslim News

[Photo: Police officers evacuate people from a shop at Las Ramblas as they take security measures at the area after a van plowed into the crowd, injuring several people in Barcelona, Spain on August 17, 2017. Photographer: Albert Llop/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 10 + 9 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets