Italy earthquake: Death toll rises to 247

25th Aug 2016
Italy earthquake: Death toll rises to 247

ROME (AA): The death toll in a deadly earthquake in Italy has risen to 247, the Italian Civil Defense said Thursday. More than 1,000 people have been displaced by the quake,

The Italian Civil Protection Unit said in a statement “So far death toll stands at 247”, adding it feared the death toll would rise.

Flags will fly at half-mast outside the Italian prime minister’s office Wednesday and Thursday for the victims of the earthquake.

Earlier, the Italian Civil Protection Department said the hardest-hit were Lazio town of Amatrice and nearby Accumoli.

Italian news agency ANSA reported numerous victims were still trapped under the rubble in Accumoli, Amatrice and Pescara del Tronto following the earthquake that struck at 3.36 a.m. local time (1336 GMT) and was followed by several aftershocks.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 6.2-magnitude tremor struck at a shallow depth of 10 kilometers (six miles) southeast of Norcia — a town in Perugia, central Italy and occurred as a result of shallow normal faulting on a northwest-southeast oriented fault line in the Central Apennines.

ANSA quoted Renzi as vowing to “leave no one on their own – not one family, one town or one village,” before visiting the scene.

“The priority right now is to dig,” he said.

A 10-year-old girl has been pulled alive from the rubble in Pescara del Tronto, 17 hours after an earthquake rocked central Italy.

Video of the rescue shows firefighters looking through the debris and finding the legs of the girl, named as Giulia, then carefully removing the rubble to pull her free.

Cheers and applause go up as she is carried away by a firefighter.

Pescara del Tronto is about 160 kilometres north-east of Rome and is one of the three towns hardest hit by yesterday’s quake.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon offered his “deepest condolences” and added that “the United Nations stand ready to offer its support should that be requested.”

In a call with Italian President Sergio Mattarella, U.S. President Barack Obama offered American assistance with recovery efforts, the White House said.

But spokesman Josh Earnest said due to Italy’s experience in responding to major quakes “it is not clear to me at this point that any of those offers have been taken up.

“That frankly is a testament to the expertise of the Italians in responding to situations like this, but if our friends in Italy need our help, particularly in dealing with a situation like this, you can rest assured that we’re going to provide it,” he told reporters.

In addition, Turkey’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement the country was “standing by Italy in its difficult time.

“[Turkey] is ready for any help if necessary.”

Christos Stylianides, EU commissioner for humanitarian aid, said in a statement: “The EU is ready to help.

“At the moment, the Commission’s Emergency Response Coordination Centre is closely monitoring the situation and has already been in contact with the Italian civil protection authorities during the night regarding any help which could be requested,” he added.

In comments reported by ANSA, Pope Francis addressed 11,000 faithful in the Vatican’s St. Peter’s Square and said he felt “great pain” over the deaths, adding he was with all those “who have lost loved ones and those who still feel shaken by fear.”

The Central Apennine region has experienced several significant quakes, including in April 2009 when a magnitude-6.3 tremor struck near the town of L’Aquila and killed at least 295 victims, injured more than 1,000 and left approximately 55,000 homeless.
Author Ahmet Sait Akçay,Michael Hernandez,Burcu Arik,Handan

 

Additional reporting by The Muslim News

 

[Photo: Rescuers carry a person from the rubble after a strong earthquake hit Amatrice on August 24, 2016. Italy was struck by a powerful, 6.2-magnitude earthquake in the night, which has killed at least 63 people and devastated dozens of houses in the Lazio village of Amatrice. Photographer: Riccardo De Luca/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 11 + 15 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets