Nigeria: Dozens killed in clashes between soldiers & Boko Haram

7th Oct 2015
Nigeria: Dozens killed in clashes between soldiers & Boko Haram

LAGOS (AA): At least nine soldiers and over 50 Boko Haram militants have died in heavy fighting in northeastern Nigeria, according to army sources speaking to Anadolu Agency.

Insurgents attacked Goniri village in northeastern Yobe state in the early hours of Monday, a senior army source claimed.

A brigadier-general, speaking on condition of anonymity, said: “The army got information that over 200 terrorists were attacking Goniri in the early hours of Monday and troops were immediately dispatched to foil the attack.

“We succeeded but nine soldiers died while over 50 terrorists were also killed,” the senior officer told Anadolu Agency on Tuesday.

He said several militants were also arrested while at least 16 vehicles and a large cache of weapons were seized during the operation.

Nigerian army spokesman Sani Usman did not responded to a request for comment on the incident.

The Gujba attack comes amid claims by the military that it has weakened the militants, although recent bombings traced to Boko Haram have raised doubts about the claim.

Analysts, however, say that recent military operations mean Boko Haram no longer has the capacity to hold territories as it did in the past.

Earlier on Tuesday, an army spokesman said a top Boko Haram financier had been arrested with a million naira ($5,100) in neighboring Borno state while a “number of terrorists” were also killed in a raid by Nigerian troops.

The claim could not be independently verified by Anadolu Agency.

Author: Rafiu Oriyomi Ajakaye
[Photo: Burned out cars are seen after retreating Boko Haram set them alight in the city of Yola in Adamawa province, Nigeria on May 16, 2015. Photographer: Mohammed Elshamy/Anadolu Agency]

Leave a Comment

What is 2 + 12 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets

Betboo Porno izle Mobile porn hilesi