Elham Asaad Buaras
A 47-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life following an attack on an Islamic centre in Maida Vale in the early hours of February 3, police have confirmed.
Officers from the Metropolitan Police were called to the Islamic Centre of England shortly after 12:15am, alongside the London Fire Brigade, following reports of a fire on the premises.
Police believe that two flammable objects were thrown into the centre’s grounds, causing fire damage to a cabin and a parked vehicle. The suspect is believed to have fled the scene by car.
The fires extinguished themselves before emergency services arrived. No one was injured and there was no damage to the main building of the Islamic Centre of England, the Metropolitan Police said.
An investigation was launched immediately and, less than 12 hours later, officers arrested a 47-year-old man on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life. He remains in custody.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said the Islamic Centre of England has previously been the site of protests and altercations between groups who support and oppose the Iranian regime.
“Tensions between those groups were already heightened given events in Iran in recent weeks,” the spokesperson said. “We understand that this incident will be the cause of further community concern.
“We would urge everyone to remain calm, to allow officers to carry out their enquiries, and to avoid any sort of escalation.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information is asked to contact police on 101, quoting crime reference 0069/03FEB.