Scrolling news:

Iraqi forces retake 12 districts of Fallujah from Daesh

24th May 2016
Iraqi forces retake 12 districts of Fallujah from Daesh

By Ibrahim Saleh

 

BAGHDAD (AA) – Iraqi forces have captured 12 districts of Fallujah only hours after the launch of a military campaign aimed at retaking the city from the Daesh terrorist group, according to a local security source.

Fallujah is considered Daesh’s primary stronghold in Iraq’s western Anbar province.

Federal police officer Raed Jawdat said in a statement Monday that joint forces — including army troops, counter-terrorism units, pro-government militiamen and tribal fighters — had managed to capture the districts of Subaihat, Al-Shihabi, Al-Lifiyya, Al-Karma, Al-Boaudh, Jamilah, Al-Bouhadid, Al-Nasser and Al-Sajr, among others.

Jawdat added that some 40 Daesh militants had been killed so far in ongoing operations to retake Fallujah, in which medium and heavy weapons were being employed.

On Sunday night, Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi announced the launch of the military campaign.

“The operation to liberate Fallujah has been launched with the participation of Iraqi army forces, counter-terrorism units, the federal police, the [Shia] Hashd al-Shaabi militia and tribal fighters,” al-Abadi said.

Located along the Euphrates River about 50 kilometers west of capital Baghdad, Fallujah — which fell to Daesh in early 2014 — is currently home to an estimated 90,000 people.

 

[Photo: Defense Minister of Iraq Khaled al-Obeidi (L-3) and The commander of the Baghdad Operations, Lt. Gen. Abdul Amir al-Shammari (R) speak to each other as they inspect the territory on a map during an operation against Daesh terrorists to rescue Fallujah, in Anbar province of Iraq on May 23, 2016. Photographer: Ali Muhammed/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 6 + 4 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets

Betboo Porno izle Mobile porn hilesi