Philippines: Filipino fishermen feared dead as storm moves to China

3rd Oct 2015
Philippines: Filipino fishermen feared dead as storm moves to China

By Roy Ramos

 

ZAMBOANGA CITY, (AA): Seven fishermen were feared dead as a strong tropical storm exited the Philippines’ area od responsibility Saturday and headed toward south China.

The Philippines’ National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said in a bulletin that search and rescue operations continued for the fishermen who ventured into the rough seas off the northern Aurora province at the height of tropical storm Mujigae — locally named as Kabayan.

Nine boats with 14 fishermen on board sailed Thursday night before going missing, according to the agency. Of the 14, seven have been rescued.

The agency has not reported any injuries or fatalities from the storm as of press time.

The bulletin said that a total of 444 families — or 2,449 people — had been affected by the storm in the eastern provinces of Aurora, Bulacan and Nueva Ecija, with 214 of them remaining in six evacuation centers.

Romina Marasigan, an agency spokesperson, told local radio station dzBB interview that some parts of Aurora province continued to experiences power outage, while restoration efforts were ongoing.

The country’s weather bureau PAGASA reported that sea conditions along coastal areas will be moderate to rough, with water travel remaining risky along the western seaboard of northern and Central Luzon island.

PAGASA said the storm continued intensifying as it moved west-northwest toward China at 20 kilometers per hour  (12.4 miles per hour) – data matching that reported by its neighbor’s meteorological authority.

According to the National Meteorological Center, the storm – which has strengthened into a typhoon, the 22nd this year — is forecast to make landfall in Hainan province before noon Sunday with wind speeds of more than 151.2 kilometers per hour at the center.

With the typhoon striking during the seven-day National Holiday, Hainan – made up of numerous islands, some disputed – closed some tourist destinations Saturday, including mountain activities, Xinhua reported.

All sea vessels were ordered to harbor Saturday morning, after trains and ferries between the mainland and Hainan island were suspended the night before.

 

[Photo: Philippines has suffered from natural disasters in the past. In 2013 devastation caused by the storms which caused catastrophic damage throughout central Philippines. 15/11/2013. Photographer: Onur Çoban/Anadolu Agency]

Leave a Comment

What is 8 + 9 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets