Philippines: 3 Abu Sayyaf gunmen dead in shootout

26th Oct 2015
Philippines: 3 Abu Sayyaf gunmen dead in shootout

By Hader Glang

 

ZAMBOANGA, (AA): Philippine government forces claim to have killed three gunmen belonging to an al-Qaeda-linked group in the troubled southern island province of Basilan.

In a statement Sunday, the military said Joint Task Group Basilan encountered a group of 50 Abu Sayyaf militants at around 11.30 a.m. (0330GMT) in the jungle-surrounded village of Baiwas.

Military spokesperson Capt. Roy Vincent Trinidad said the encounter had occurred while the task group was conducting a sweep of the area, triggering a 40-minute shootout.

“The Abu Sayyaf bandits sustained casualties that prompted them to withdraw in different directions,” he said.

Trinidad added that four wounded soldiers had immediately been evacuated while troops pursued the escaping militants in nearby mountains.

The military has been carrying out focused offensives against the Abu Sayyaf on the islands of Basilan and Sulu to pressure the group into releasing their hostages, who include foreigners, he said.

Soldiers in Sulu have reportedly been involved in a series of firefights with gunmen over the last week.

Since 1991, the Abu Sayyaf — armed with mostly improvised explosive devices, mortars and automatic rifles — has carried out bombings, kidnappings, assassinations and extortions in a self-determined fight for an independent Islamic province in the Philippines.

It is notorious for beheading victims after ransoms have failed to be paid for their release.

 
[Photo: A site of a bomb blast is seen outside a bus station in Zamboanga City on Janaury 23, 2015. A powerful explosion rocked the southern city of Zamboanga in the Philippines’ south Friday afternoon, leaving one dead and 31 others injured. Hader Glang / Anadolu Agency]

Leave a Comment

What is 13 + 11 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets