Scrolling news:

China: 85 missing after landslide at industrial park

22nd Dec 2015
China: 85 missing after landslide at industrial park
BEIJING (AA) – Chinese teams continued searching Monday night for at least 85 people believed to be missing after a landslide of mud and construction waste buried dozens of buildings at an industrial park in southern Guangdong Province.

Shenzen city’s deputy mayor, Liu Qingsheng, told a press conference that initial investigations indicated that at least 33 structures had been buried or damaged after Sunday’s landslide, state news agency Xinhua reported.

Among them were 14 factory buildings, 13 low-rise buildings, three dormitories, two office buildings and a canteen.

Authorities had earlier reported that 91 people were missing, but the figure was revised to 85 Monday evening.

The Ministry of Land and Natural Resources said the collapse of a nearly 20-story high “unstable” pile of dirt and construction waste had triggered the landslide.

The Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported that the landslide spread across an area of more than 100,000 square meters (119,600 square yards) at the industrial park.

Seven people have been rescued, with none suffering life-threatening injuries.

It also reported residents as saying that they had submitted complaints about the dump pile to authorities – who estimated it as taking up an area of 380,00 square meters – and that there had been a rise in the number of trucks moving waste to the site.

Wang Zhenxin, who formerly worked as a chief engineer at a Shanghai construction firm, told the Post the landslide “is not from a natural mountain, but a huge pile of mud.”

“When one side of the pile is overloaded and the pressure builds up, it pushes the mud on the other side and it spills over,” he added.

President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang have called for all-out rescue efforts.

While Xi ordered that “everything possible” be done to minimize casualties, Li urged the Ministry of Land and Natural Resources to send officials to help the local government in its rescue efforts.

Xinhua reported experts as saying that another landslide was unlikely.

More than 900 residents had been evacuated from the area as of Sunday evening, with some being accommodated at a makeshift shelter at a sports center.

An investigation into the manmade disaster is ongoing.

 
Author: Satuk Buğra Kutlugün
[Photo: Emergency services search rubble for survivors after a landslide buried 22 buildings on December 20, 2015 in Shenzhen, China. Photographer: Lo Kwok Fai/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 8 + 12 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets