PM Cameron meeting young Muslims at Jamia Mosque
By Musa Naqvi in Manchester
Prime Minister David Cameron insists that he condemns all form of terrorism after remaining silent in the aftermath of a series of attacks on mosques in West Midlands last month, The Muslim News exclusively reports. He also said the next meeting of extremism taskforce, the Govt was going to look into is violence and extremism suffered by Muslims communities.
“I condemn these attacks absolutely, buts more important than condemnation is action,” Cameron said belatedly after being challenged during a visit to Jamia Mosque in Manchester as the month of Ramadan drew to a close on Thursday.
“I think we can say that this Government has taken action. The Police have acted very robustly in response to these attacks. Also the Government has changed the PREVENT Strategy to make sure that is was to combat all forms of extremism and violence, including extremism and violence against the Muslim communities.”
“I recognise the seriousness of this problem and that’s one of the reasons my extremism taskforce at its next meeting will be looking at the problem of violence against Muslim communities themselves,” he said after facing criticism by the Muslim community for not being strong enough in his response.
A series of attacks against Muslim targets included three terrorist bombings targeted at different mosques in West Midlands in July. When questioned at the time by The Muslim News Editor, Ahmed J Versi, why the Prime Minister had not condemned the attacks, his spokesperson simply said Cameron was “concerned by the recent events”.
“I did, I’ve condemned all of the bomb attacks against all the mosques and I condemn these attacks utterly,” Cameron insisted when challenged at Jamia Mosque. “I think it’s very important as I’ve said, the Police pursue those responsible, its completely and utterly unacceptable in our country,” he told The Muslim News.
“I would argue that this Government has done more than any previous government to combat Islamophobia in all its forms. We’ve changed the prevent strategy. We’ve empowered the police, we’ve worked with the community to monitor the outbreaks of Islamophobia and I don’t rule out taking more steps, and that why I’ve said my extremism taskforce, the next subject were going to look into is violence and extremism suffered by Muslims communities themselves.”
Minister for Faith & Communities, Baroness Warsi, who was also in attendance, also responded to criticism of the Prime Minister suggesting that there had been “huge concern at the heart of Government about the attacks on the British Muslim community”. She said that she herself had “issued a statement of condemnation immediately after Tipton” and further added that as part of the Government she worked “incredibly closely on this issue of extremism” with the Prime Minister as if acknowledging the lack of a personal response from Cameron himself.
Previous press release on this issue http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/pressreleases/press-releases/cameron-declined-to-condemn-terrorist-bombs-targeting-three-mosques/
For further information contact us on 020 8863 8586 or 077 68 241 325. Please acknowledge The Muslim News when using the press release