By Elham Asaad Buaras
A man was given a year conditional discharge and was ordered to pay a £15 surcharge after admitting throwing bacon and sausages on two occasions over a fence at a mosque in north-west London on June 25. Four days later another piece of bacon was thrown on Chichele Road side of the mosque. No one has been apprehended for the second incident.
Chairman of the Mosque and Islamic Centre, Mohammed Sadeeq, told The Muslim News the worshippers were “very insulted” and that “it was the first time in 25 years that the mosque has been attacked.” He added that on July 5, a neighbor threatened one of the worshippers that he would break the windows of the mosque.
Appearing at Hendon Magistrates’ Court on July 4, Alexis Garner, 31, said he threw the meat on June 25 as “a cry for help”.
The court heard Garner purchased bacon and sausages from a shop, then threw the meat over the fence at the Mosque and Islamic Centre in Howard Road, Cricklewood, at 5.46am.
Garner was identified from CCTV footage at the shop where the meat was purchased.
District Judge Michael Jebbit was told Garner has a history of mental health problems but there had been a breakdown in his treatment and he had been without medication for two or three months on account of his care coordinator officer being on leave.
Judge Jebbit said it was “bizarre behaviour” but told the court that while the charges were serious, they did not justify a custodial sentence. “It is just so grossly offensive to the owners of the mosque. You knew it would cause offence,” he said.
Garner admitted two charges of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, in a religious or racially aggravated manner.
A charge of causing racially or religiously aggravated harassment without violence was dropped.