TEHRAN, (Xinhua): Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham confirmed here on Tuesday that Iran and Britain have agreed to appoint a non-resident charge d’affaires in an attempt to resume bilateral ties, local media reported.
After the talks between Iranian and British officials in New York last month, “British Foreign Secretary William Hague called ( Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad) Zarif on Monday and suggested appointing a non-resident charge d’affaires in the capitals of the two countries,” Afkham was quoted as saying by semi-official Mehr news agency.
The two countries agreed on Tuesday to appoint non-resident diplomats in their respective countries as the Iranian Majlis ( parliament) had approved restoration of bilateral ties at the level of charge d’affaires, she said.
The spokeswoman added that in the future, historical mutual problems, different views over Iran’s nuclear issue, Middle East developments and the subject of human rights will be among the topics of talks between Iranian and British officials.
On Tuesday, Hague told the British parliament that the two countries “will now appoint a non-resident charge d’affaires tasked with implementing the building of relations, including interim steps on the way towards the eventual reopening of both our embassies.”
In November 2011, thousands of angry Iranian demonstrators broke into two British embassy compounds following Iran’s decision to downgrade its diplomatic ties with Britain in response to its financial sanctions against Tehran.
Britain then shut down its embassy in Tehran and ordered the immediate closure of the Iranian embassy in London.