India: Delhi minor rape victim stable, PM calls for women’s safety

21st Apr 2013

IANS: The latest medical bulletin issued by AIIMS on Sunday said the five year old rape victim is conscious and talking to parents, doctors and nurses even as protests continue across Delhi.

The doctor said her vital parameters are normal and is responding well to the treartment.

Investigations into the barbaric rape of a five-year-old have revealed that the
accused, Manoj Kumar, tried to kill the girl after brutalising her as he feared


Police said the incident took place between 6 pm and 7 pm. Kumar kidnapped the
girl at 6 pm and left her locked inside his rented room around 7 pm. He left for
his native village in Bihar after the girl fell unconscious.


Condemning the rape of a 5-year-old girl in Delhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday said safety, security and status of women in our country was a matter of major concern.

Prime Minister said, “The gruesome assualt on a little child reminds us to work collectively to root out this sort of depravity from our society.”


All of us have a social obligation to contribute to the social and economic empowerment of women, he added.


He also called the attention of the Delhi Police and said that there was a need to show concern and sensitivity while dealing with public anxiety.


He also added that the UPA gdovernment has moved with speed in strengthening the law to be able to deal more effectively with offences against women.


The Prime Minister further said there is scope for vast improvements in the area of women’s safety and that everyone has the social responsibility to provide security to women.


Pressure is mounting on the police to take action against policemen who failed to perform their duty. Protesters have demanded that Assistant Commissioner of Police BS Ahlawat be arrested and proscecuted for slapping a woman protesters at the hospitla where the victim was admitted.


Most of the protests this weekend have been against the insensitivity of the Delhi Police. On Saturday, many protesters gathered outside the Delhi Police Headquarters and demanded the resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar.


The girl, in the meanwhile is stable and responding to treatment.


While the capital was seething in anger over the rape, news came in the evening of a gang-rape of a 13-year-old girl by eight men.


Condemnation of the five-year-old’s rape came from President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari, while Congress president Sonia Gandhi paid a quiet visit to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) where the girl is being treated and met her and her parents.


Gandhi’s visit came even as a candle light vigil was held outside AIIMS by protesters.



Accused left the girl to die

A joint team of Delhi and Bihar Police succeeded in nabbing the rape accused, Manoj Kumar, 22, from his in-laws house in Chitkouna village in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district early Saturday. He was flown to Delhi in a chartered plane and was interrogated by police.


The girl, a resident of east Delhi’s Gandhi Nagar, was abducted by Manoj, a labourer, who lived on the ground floor of the same house in the working class neighbourhood. He kept her hostage for two days without food and water and subjected her to brutal repeated rape.


She was rescued when her family members heard her screams Wednesday, police said. The accused had locked the door from outside and fled, thinking that she had died.


“She was locked in the room for over 40 hours,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Prabhakar.


“Prima facie, it appears that Kumar had strangled the girl and she lost consciousness. She also gave in under the extreme pain inflicted by Kumar who inserted several objects inside body. Assuming her to be dead, Kumar locked the house and boarded a bus to New Delhi Railway Station from where he boarded the Swatantrata Senani Express for Muzaffarpur and left Delhi around 8.30 pm,” said a source.


After leaving Delhi, Kumar first went to his ancestral house at Bharathua village in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district on April 16 and the next day reached in-laws’ house in Chiknauta village.


His father-in-law Mahendra Sah said Kumar suddenly arrived at the village on Tuesday evening without any prior notice. “We had no clue what he was up to,” he told reporters in Bihar. People in his native village have decided to boycott Kumar’s family.


He is likely to be produced in Karkardooma court later in the day.


Doctors at AIIMS in an evening bulletin said the girl’s condition was stable and she was recovering.


Medical Superintendent DK Sharma said they had carried out a procedure to divert her stools as her private parts had suffered grievous injuries and were badly damaged.

Protests against police apathy

Protesters gave vent to their anger at the rising rapes. Delhi, which has earned the unflattering sobriquet of rape capital, has seen 393 rapes in the first three months of the year compared to 152 in the same period last year.


Students, women activists and members of the Aam Admi Party (AAP) and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the student’s wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, laid siege outside the Police headquarters in the heart of the capital from early morning, shouting slogans and waving banners.


Their numbers swelled by afternoon. The crowd demanded the resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar. Many protesters tried to break the barricades and enter the Police Headquarters.



The restive crowd soon moved to AIIMS, while another batch of protesters moved to union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde’s house in Krishna Menon Marg in central Delhi and raised slogans against the deteriorating law and order situation.


Dozens also protested outside Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s 10 Janpath residence.


Police imposed prohibitory orders around India Gate, to prevent a repeat of the earlier incidents in the aftermath of the Dec 16 gang-rape when protesters had overrun the area.


Gandhi Saturday condemned the rape, saying “action and not words are required to check incidents like this heinous rape.”


Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj went a step further – demanding death penalty.


“They reflect a mental sickness which has crept in society…a strong law is not sufficient, they need a shock treatment… They should be hanged to send a strong message to other people,” she told reporters.


The girl was shifted to AIIMS Friday from an east Delhi hospital where doctors had said they had never seen such a brutal attack after they removed a bottle and pieces of candle from her private parts.


Much of the anger of the protesters is also directed against police for having failed to act promptly after her father filed a missing complaint. After the rape was discovered last Wednesday the local police allegedly tried to bribe the poor parents with Rs. 2,000 asking them to hush the incident.


In the second case reported from east Delhi’s Farsh Bazaar, police registered an abduction report but failed to register a rape report. The parents April 9 went to court, which ordered police to act. Three of the eight men have been arrested.


With agency inputs


Comments are closed.

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets