Israeli occupation forces shot dead a 16-year-old Palestinian in the West Bank early Tuesday, witnesses and medics said, as war jets bombed dozens of sites in the besieged Gaza strip.
The attacks come after Israeli soldiers discovered the bodies of three missing settlers whose disappearance and killing it blames on Hamas despite revealing any evidence that links the crime to the Islamist group.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had promised Hamas would pay after the discovery of the three Jewish seminary students’ bodies under a pile of rocks near the West Bank city of Hebron on Monday.
The military said aircraft attacked 34 sites in Gaza, mostly belonging to Hamas, though its statement did not link the strikes to the abductions.
Instead, it cited 18 Palestinian rocket launched against Israeli-occupied territory from Gaza in the past two days which Israeli officials have claimed Hamas carried out.
The Islamist group has denied Israel’s allegations about its role in the disappearance of the students as they hitchhiked near an illegal Jewish settlement on June 12.
Palestinian medics were cited by local news agency Ma’an as saying that 16-year-old Youssef Abu Zagha died after being shot in the chest by Israeli occupation forces in the Jenin refugee camp early Tuesday.
Local sources said the undercover soldiers assassinated Ibrahim Abu Zagha,as he was returning home, carrying food for his family to eat before starting their fast, as Muslims are marking the holy month of Ramadan.
His death brings to eight the number of Palestinians killed in the West Bank by occupation forces since the army launched a major offensive ostensibly to find the missing settlers.
Six of the Palestinians were shot dead, while another two died of heart attacks during raids on their homes.
Israel confirmed shooting Abu Zagha, claiming he was a “Hamas operative” who threw a grenade at occupation forces.
On Monday Israel set off explosive in the family homes of two Palestinian men it suspects of being behind the killing of the settlers.
An army spokesperson said they blew open a doorway in one home. The other property was on fire after the blast. Neighbors said both houses were empty.
“This kind of act is a sin, whether you’re a Muslim or Jew. They’ve scared the kids so much,” Um Sharif, the mother of one of the alleged kidnappers said about the damage caused to her home. She said she did not believe her son had been involved.