Three people were killed when two bombs they were carrying in a pick-up truck went off prematurely south of Cairo, Egyptian government and security forces announced on Wednesday.
The three, who were allegedly planning an attack, were killed outright when the truck was completely blown apart in the village of Shurafa.
Ali Abderrahmane, governor of Giza province, spoke of “a powerful explosion” which destroyed the truck and said the dead “were preparing an attack on a security services control point.”
State news outlet Al-Ahram quoted Brigadier Mahmoud Shawki, a police officer, as saying those killed had been inside the car and were likely to have been on their way to carry out a “terrorist operation.”
Shawki said the car was ripped in two by the blast and that security forces were trying to identify the dead, Al-Ahram reported.
Since the fall of President Mohammed Mursi in July last year and a subsequent army crackdown, Egypt has seen a series of bombings targeting security forces and claimed by jihadis, particularly in the Sinai peninsula.
The attacks have also cost many civilian lives along with more than 500 police and soldiers, according to government figures.