A drone strike in eastern Yemen killed six people on Monday, tribal sources said, in the first such raid since the army launched an offensive against jihadists last month.
The pilotless aircraft targeted a vehicle carrying “al-Qaeda members” near Al-Husun, a village in Marib province, one source alleged to AFP.
The United States is the only country operating drones over Yemen, but US officials rarely acknowledge the covert drone program.
Yemen’s army launched a major offensive on April 29 against strongholds of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, in three provinces in the south and east.
It says it has inflicted heavy losses on the jihadists.
The offensive was preceded by a wave of US drone strikes that killed scores of al-Qaeda suspects and some civilians last month in southern and central regions.
Drone strikes in Yemen and other countries where the United States operate them frequently mistake civilians for militants, creating deep resentment among locals.