Yemen: Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike in Red Sea off Yemen

19th Mar 2017
Yemen: Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike in Red Sea off Yemen

By Zeynep Tufekci

 

SANA, Yemen (AA): Death toll rose to 42 in an airstrike on a migrant boat in the Red Sea off Yemen, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Saturday.

The boat was packed with Somali migrants, including women and children, heading to Sudan. They were travelling from Yemen to Sudan when they were attacked by an Apache helicopter near the Bab el-Mandeb strait.

IOM said it provided medical, food and financial assistance for the 39 migrants who were rescued in the attack.

“The attack took place in the Red Sea off Yemen, late Thursday,” IOM spokesman Joel Millman told a news conference in Geneva on Friday.

The rebel-controlled Saba agency said the refugees had been attacked from the air by the Saudi-led coalition battling the insurgents, but did not provide further details.

Saudi Arabia, which is leading a coalition in the war in Yemen, has US-built Apache A-64 Longbow attack helicopters.

Maj Gen Ahmed Assiri, spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, dismissed the accusation saying that the force had not been involved in fighting in Hodeida.

According to New York Times, The boat was attacked by a Saudi-led military coalition, Yemeni officials said. A spokesman for the coalition did not respond to requests for comment, but Saudi officials have accused Iran of smuggling weapons by sea to Yemen’s Houthi rebels, who control the territory around the port, and vowed to stop it.

The statement said that Yemen hosts 270,000 migrants including 255,000 Somalis.

No one has yet claimed the attack.

Additional reports from Agencies

[Photo: Dead bodies lay on the coast after airstrike hit a boat carrying Somali migrants, including women and children who were heading to Sudan, in Red Sea, on March 17, 2017 in Al Hudaydah, Yemen. Photo by Stringer/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 2 + 14 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets