Afghanistan: Suicide car bomb kills 15 in Helmand province

29th Aug 2017
Afghanistan: Suicide car bomb kills 15 in Helmand province

By Shadi Khan Saif

 

KABUL, Afghanistan (AA): At least 15 people were killed in a suicide car bombing aimed at the security forces’ convoy in the restive southwestern Helmand province, an official confirmed on Monday.

The Afghan National Army (ANA) convoy was targeted in the province’s volatile Nawa district late on Sunday. Umar Zwak, spokesman for the governor in Helmand, told Anadolu Agency the attack had claimed the lives of 13 members of the Afghan National Army (ANA) and of two civilians.

“A suicide car bomber hit an armored vehicle of the army in the busy market place […]”, he said, adding 19 people were also injured in this attack.

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the attack.

Lying south to the Taliban’s birthplace Kandahar, Helmand remains one of the most insecure provinces with large-scale poppy cultivation and the Taliban controlling large swathes of land.

Last month, the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) backed by U.S. air power managed to reclaim the restive Nawa district in Helmand over a year after the Taliban overran it. Since then, deadly clashes have erupted in various pockets of the province.

[Photo archive:  Soldiers take security measures around a group of wrecked armored vehicles after a suicide attack which had conducted with a bomb-laden vehicle to a military convoy in Lashkargah, Helmand, Afghanistan on August 23, 2017. Photographer: Abdul Hadi Roshan/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 11 + 9 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets