Denmark: Muslim graves come under ‘ax attack’ in Odense

2nd Sep 2015
Denmark: Muslim graves come under ‘ax attack’ in Odense
 COPENHAGEN, (AA) – More than 50 Muslim graves have been desecrated in the Danish city of Odense, just three months after a similar incident in the country, police sources and Danish media reported Tuesday.

At a time when Islamophobic sentiments and attacks were raging all across Europe, the latest attack in Denmark, according to Danish media, is believed to have been carried out with ax by unknown number of attackers over the weekend.

According to the Danish daily Berlingske, police were yet to make an arrest in the incident that left dozens of gr

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AA) – More than 50 Muslim graves have been desecrated in the Danish city of Odense, just three months after a similar incident in the country, police sources and Danish media reported Tuesday.

At a time when Islamophobic sentiments and attacks were raging all across Europe, the latest attack in Denmark, according to Danish media, is believed to have been carried out with ax by unknown number of attackers over the weekend.

According to the Danish daily Berlingske, police were yet to make an arrest in the incident that left dozens of gravestones destroyed or damaged.

Bosnian Mirna Ugljen told DR television Tuesday that she was shocked to see the cemetery vandalized where her father had been resting since 17 years. “When we came to visit my father, we were shocked. They are dead and cannot hurt anyone. Leave them alone,” Ugljen said.

Danish Minister of Justice Soren Pind condemned the incident on Twitter. “Stop this. As Denmark, we do not want to walk on such a path,” he tweeted in Danish language.

In a similar incident, about 50 Muslim graves were desecrated in the western Copenhagen suburb of Brondby.

avestones destroyed or damaged.

Bosnian Mirna Ugljen told DR television Tuesday that she was shocked to see the cemetery vandalized where her father had been resting since 17 years. “When we came to visit my father, we were shocked. They are dead and cannot hurt anyone. Leave them alone,” Ugljen said.

Danish Minister of Justice Soren Pind condemned the incident on Twitter. “Stop this. As Denmark, we do not want to walk on such a path,” he tweeted in Danish language.

In a similar incident, about 50 Muslim graves were desecrated in the western Copenhagen suburb of Brondby.

Author: Diyar Güldoğan
[Photo: Denmark’s Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen’s government has condemned Muslim graves desecrations. 28 August 2015. Photographer: Cüneyt Karadağ/Anadolu Agency]

Leave a Comment

What is 4 + 9 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets