[Supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood march through streets of Alexandria, costal city of Egypt, Nov.22. (Xinhua/Asmaa Abdelatif)]
CAIRO, (Xinhua): Clashes erupted on Friday between Islamist protesters and security forces across Egypt, leaving at least two dead including a 10-year-old child, the Health Ministry told reporters.
Thousands of supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood marched in the main streets of Cairo and other cities after the Friday’s moon prayer, marking the passage of 100 days since the bloody military operation in mid August that cleared out two major Islamist protest camps in Cairo and Giza, and claimed nearly 1,000 lives and injured thousands of others.
After that, the military-backed government imposed a three- month-long state of emergency and overnight curfew, with an aim to control security situation in the Arab country. Both of them had been lifted last week under the constitution.
The 10-year-old boy was killed when he was hit in the head by birdshot during clashes broken out in the Canal city of Suez between supporters and opponents of former president Mohamed Morsi, head of the emergency department Khaled el-Khatib told reporters.
He said another young man who belongs to the Brotherhood was also shot to death in the central city of Menya. Dozens of people were injured during the nationwide violence.
Protests have been a near-daily occurrence since the ouster of Morsi on July 3. His loyalties went to streets, shouting pro-Morsi slogans and calling for the reinstatement of his president.
The 62-year-old Morsi was in a secret location for four months after he was removed by the military in response to millions of Egyptians’ rallies against his single year of turbulent rule.
He made the first public appearance during the trial on Nov. 4, but the court then postponed the trial to Jan. 8 of next year.