Scrolling news:

Nigeria: Over a dozen killed in suspected Boko Haram attack

3rd Apr 2018
Nigeria: Over a dozen killed in suspected Boko Haram attack

By Rafiu Ajakaye and Olarewaju Kola

 

LAGOS/MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AA): Over a dozen people were killed in a suspected Boko Haram attack in villages in northeastern Nigeria, the army said Monday.

Army spokesman Onyema Nwachukwu said 15 people, including a soldier, had been killed and 83 injured in villages Sunday.

Militants attempted to enter the villages near Maiduguri and army troops engaged them in a gun battle, but some civilians were caught in the crossfire, locals said.

In a statement later Monday, the army said six militants had been killed and seven suicide bombers struck down.

Bashir Garga, regional coordinator of a Nigerian relief agency, told Anadolu Agency via phone that 18 people had been killed in the attack, however, the gunfight had stopped in the villages of Bale-Shuwa, Bale-Kura and Alkaranti.

Government-backed civilian vigilante spokesman Jubrin Gumda said: “There were deaths but it is hard to say how many were civilians … several suicide bombers died in the process. But we did not lose any of our members to the attack.”

The attacks were the first since Nigeria said it was negotiating a cease-fire with Boko Haram.

Turkish Foreign Ministry condemned “the heinous attack” in a written statement Monday.

It went on to “wish Allah’s mercy upon those who lost their lives, speedy recovery to the wounded and offer our condolences to the people and Government of Nigeria.”

[Map of Nigeria showing Maiduguri By Kemal Delikmen/AA]

Leave a Comment

What is 15 + 7 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)

Over 120 people attended a landmark conference on the media reporting of Islam and Muslims. It was held jointly by The Muslim News and Society of Editors in London on September 15.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence 2015 was held on March in London to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to the society.

The Muslim News Awards for Excellence event is to acknowledge British Muslim and non-Muslim contributions to society. Over 850 people from diverse background, Muslim and non-Muslim, attended the gala dinner.

Latest Tweets