LAGOS, (Xinhua): At least 160 people have so far been killed in recent attacks in Sanga area of central north Nigeria’s Kaduna state by yet-to-be identified gunmen, local official said Friday.
Gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen had raided in June two separate villages in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State, killing at least 38 residents of the area while scores were injured.
The attacks carried out simultaneously in two villages in Sanga council area lasted three days, prompting the local government to impose a 24-hour curfew as the crisis escalated.
Council Chairman Emmanuel Adamu, briefing the state Deputy Governor Nuhu Bajoga, who was on tour of the area on Friday, said more than seven villages and not two as earlier reported were actually attacked by the gunmen.
He said over 160 residents were actually killed while over 24, 000 persons displaced following the attacks.
The deputy governor had called on those who fled the area to return to their communities as government has put in place measures to ensure their safety.
Bajoga assured people that adequate security would be put in place to forestall future attacks.
Kaduna is one of the states bearing the brunt of attacks in Nigeria, with women and children worst affected.
Nigeria currently grapples with various security challenges, part of which is the insurgency of Boko Haram, a group which seeks to enshrine the Islamic sharia law in the constitution of the West African country.